Sunday, February 28, 2010

Warning Labels

Dog

When I first started thinking about my next blog I was still on the capital punishment mind set. In our local paper today was an excellent editorial about how much more it cost to sentence criminals to death than to life. Then something else caught my attention and I’ve decided to save the death penalty for another day.

We were sitting on the lanai smoking and joking, and the story was a phone call a coworker received last week for her child’s daycare. Her daughter eats breakfast at home but the first 45 minutes of day at daycare take place in the “cafeteria” so those kids who don’t eat breakfast at home can eat there. The coworker sends in something small for her child  to snack on while everyone else is arriving and eating. The phone call was that she is no longer allowed to bring in anything with peanuts or peanut butter because ONE child has been diagnosed with a peanut allergy. Not the coworkers child, somebody else’s child so now NO children can have those snacks. Am I the only person who has a problem with this?

This conversation lead to a discussion about the new warning labels being put on hot dogs. Did you know hot dogs pose a choking hazard in children? I think lack of parental attention causes a choking hazard. For a year of my youngest son’s life he was a dedicated hot dog eater for lunch. I would cut them up, fold up a slice of cheese and put one on each slice and microwave it. A healthy squirt of ketchup and he was set. The worse thing that ever happened was he now can’t stand the thought of eating hot dogs. My daughter on the other hand choked on an ice cube. Yes, an ice cube. She apparently doesn’t multi-task very well. She was walking and eating ice and it slid down her throat and stuck. Instead of being mean and pouring hot water down her throat I did the Heimlich and it popped right out. We’ve had a lot of fun with that one over the years, but I didn’t look into suing the ice maker manufacturer because my daughter doesn’t know how to eat.

help_yell

Warning labels have been a source of jokes for many years but I think it’s really getting out of hand. The world really has lost it’s common sense. It’s sad that companies have to protect themselves from stupid people. Stupid has paid off for a lot of people. Sue McDonald’s because you were stupid enough to put a cup of hot coffee between your legs while you’re driving. Like when you ordered Hot Coffee you didn’t think it would really be ummmm, HOT.

Penis

What moron looked a at screwdriver and thought it would be “pleasurable” to stick it in his penis? I don’t have one but I’ve never heard of it being pleasurable to stick anything in it.

Ok, enough for now. I’m going to go back and read the book I found several years ago, The Death of Common Sense : How Law is Suffocating America by Philip K. Howard.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious post. You are SO right about the warning labels that sometimes even border on dumb. It's sad that we're a sue-happy nation. My dad is the type that always mentions how he's gonna sue someone for this, that or the other thing (he's never sued anyone). The sad thing is that these companies lost a lawsuit because some dumbass judge or jury ruled in the plaintiff's favor so hence the warning label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Laurie. As a follow-up to the 'no nuts" daycare...that child's mother is now bringing in the trail mix and peanuts to my office. I've told her it's a good thing we don't have a no nut clause there or all of us would be banned. :::sigh::: Maybe little Kate needs a sign that says stay away from me I HAVE NUTS AND I KNOW HOW TO USE THEM. 'nuff said. Great post. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No nut ban....In some ways that would make like a lot easier. Bahahahaha

    ReplyDelete