Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Quit

This is not the blog I started a few weeks ago and I apologize to those who were expecting something different. I started the previous blog and before I could finish I got sick and busy and now I don’t remember my train of thought on it so I’ve saved it for a later date.

Instead, you get my concession to the American Government. After 30 or so years I regretfully have to say, you win. The time has come for me to give up my one vice. Cigarettes. Marlboro Lights Despite all the health risks, smoking is something I have enjoyed for 90% of my life. I enjoy the flavor of my brand, the social aspects and up until recently I haven’t minded the price.

When I first started smoking I only smoked a pack a week and could support my habit with less than one days school lunch money. Now, my habit is roughly $100 a pay period (bi-weekly). That’s still something I can “afford”, if I wasn’t stupid enough to be supporting the habits of two besides myself. I work for my money and now that I’ve reduced my prescription drug intake, I don’t consider that too much to spend for the rush I get from it. 

As I age, I am starting to show the signs of long term nicotine abuse and with the price have decided it’s time to put them aside. As I mentioned above, I was sick last week. Just a nasty head cold that was on it’s way out as quickly as it came on. Just a few lingering side effects. The usual, post nasal drip and dry cough. Both of which are aggravated by smoking. And, last night, I was having a bit of a hard time falling asleep and was tossing and turning. I found myself out of breath….from rolling over a few times in bed….OK, I get it!!!!

Now that I’ve made the decision, I’m happy about it. I’ve only had 3 smokes today and I’ve been thinking about all the things that I can do….easier….once I’m over the habit. Mostly I’m excited about rolling around in bed (use your imagination) without getting overly winded. I’m thrilled at the prospect of these lingering side effects going away. Breathing also seems nice. I’m left with a couple of issues though, and I’m not sure what to do about them.

What do I about the two others whom I support, do I become a hard ass and refuse to buy anymore or continue as I have, although limited a bit? Also, what should I do with my $100/pay period or $200 extra a month? Should I put it in savings, or just apply it to other bills?  Money

2 comments:

  1. You should buy me lots and lots of PRESENTS! ;o) Actually you should take that money and pay down the debt with 50% and then tuck the other 50% away into your vacation wish fund, (better known as your new Roth IRA.) I'm proud of you, and I'm with you in the commitment to quit. Together we will walk, bike and roll around the bed without getting winded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're giving up smoking, then so should your "dependents". You can buy them one last carton.

    I'm proud of ya!

    As for what to do with the money, maybe save at least until DC. Pay the DC trip off, spend the remainder on "fun" (Segway) and then after the trip re-access how the new found savings should be "saved" or spent.

    ReplyDelete